Thursday, January 25, 2007

I am Too Sweet

Sigh...it is official. Dr Haynes told me at 10AM this morning that I have diabetes. Fun. Joy.

"Lose some weight, more exercise.... yadda yadda yadda.... I want you to go to nutrition classes, and some diabetes classes too.... yap yap yap."

She has always annoyed me, I like her partner Dr Henley better. But Henley was the one that found my blood sugar high, he just happened to not be in today. So I can blame him too.

I guess it was inevitable. I do weigh too much, but I am exercising more than ever before. I have a job that gets me up and down a lot, I have not had a donut in months. But the results do not lie. I have had a bit of high blood sugar before, years ago. My grandfather was diabetic. It runs in the family; thanks Gramps.

I had to get one of the glucometers where you prick your finger and put a drop of blood on the little test strip. I have to do it twice a day and keep a log of the results. It reads your number. The lower threshold for diabetes is 125. I was 217. Just a tad high. Guess no more donuts for sure.

My blood pressure was high again too, but we will deal with that next month. One malady at a time.

I guess I have to change my habits, I want to live a bit longer to annoy people and see George Bush suffer.

No comments: