Wednesday, March 26, 2008

San Juan del Sur...Birthday Girl

Well, back again in San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua. I have lost track how many times I have been here, but each time gets better in some ways. However, I still long for that time when it was new, unspoiled, unknown. My own private world, simple... cheap...fun...cheap. Progress brings benefits yet spoils the innocence. Undoubtedly, it has brought some prosperity to this impoverished land. Jobs, infrastucture, investment and opportunity.

But the money is still in the hands of the North (many want to blame the US, but Canada and Europe have a huge presence among the land owners and profiteers.) and a few rich Nicas. There is little inbetween, you either work for peanuts, or you have it all.

But I am still enchanted by the charm of these people who smile and seem to be more relaxed and open than us in the colder world.

Last night, I went to a party for a lady I know who lives down here, it was a surprise party for her. As a lesbian, she has found a refuge from the repressions of the world and makes a good living as a fine chef. Someone shouted, "a photo of all the gay people here!!..in Spanish and English. Only a few stayed out of the huge photo. Not all were gay, but they did not care. Community, fun, brother and sisterhood and celebration of friends and life, that is what counted.

What a place.

No comments: