Tuesday, May 15, 2007

So Long Jerry Falwell

Televangelist, Moral Majority founder, Republican power broker and hater of anyone Gay, Jerry Falwell died this AM shortly after being found unconscious in his office at Liberty University. He was 73.

Ron Godwin, Executive VP of the University said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. According to Godwin, "CPR efforts were unsuccessful". Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but he said Falwell "has a history of heart challenges". Probably because he was grossly obese... or didn't have a heart.

I, imagine that, do not deeply mourn his death. For someone who caused so much grief, hatred, death and destruction in the name of being "holy" or "moral", tears are hard to find here. I do feel for his family, I am sure he was loved.

So no candles, no prayers, no flowers from He would not have expected that from me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got some inevitable negitive reactions for making a video on youtube featuring his most hidious quotes and saying "Goodby, hope you learn to be less of an asshole in the next one."

I don't think what I did was wrong, it seemed fitting. People wrote to me saying "the man just died, show respect for the people who loved him." But I don't think saying what I did was disrespectful to his family, do you? We are just all expected to shut up about how nasty he was to everybody? I'm indifferent to his death, as is what he earned.

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I don't believe in the adage of not speaking ill of the dead. Dead or alive, they're the same person, and the memory of Falwell will always be one of hatred and bigotry. If there is a Jesus, let's hope he's kicking Falwell's ass with a spiked boot.

In His Own Words
"Grown men should not be having sex with prostitutes unless they are married to them."

"AIDS is not just God's punishment for homosexuals; it is God's punishment for the society that tolerates homosexuals."

"I think [Desmond Tutu]'s a phony, period, as far as representing the black people of South Africa."

"The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way -- all of them who have tried to secularize America -- I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen'."

"The whole (global warming) thing is created to destroy America's free enterprise system and our economic stability."

Anonymous said...

Oh, and one last word from Falwell's gay biographer:

http://www.advocate.com/exclusive_detail_ektid45304.asp