Wednesday, June 28, 2006

One Man's Opinion

When discussing the "controversy" of gay marriage my friend Shannon had this to say:

"Throughout my entire childhood, I was beaten, tortured, abandoned, neglected and simply abused. (this is no exaggeration ~ Pato) These crimes were perpetrated by my birth parents foster parents and adopted parents, all heterosexual married couples.

But I had a couple of gay friends and a lesbian couple who were always there for me. They gave food, shelter and clothes to the poor abused kid. Why? Because they cared and because they wanted to. Those who abused me were paid to take me and spent the money on themselves. My friends spent their own money to help me, never asking a thing in return from me.

In my opinion, sexual orientation should not be a basis for denying adoption. Heterosexuals are more than capable of abusing children, and I am sure the statistics show that. Had my non-heterosexual friends been given custody of me, things might have been a whole lot different for me. I could keep a job, I could stop trying to kill myself, I would not be in prison for the 4th time."

Need anymore convincing?

No comments: