Friday, January 23, 2009

Music to Ones Ears

It was the day after the inauguration of President Obama, January 2009. An old man approached the White House Gate from across Pennsylvania Avenue where he'd been sitting on a park bench. He spoke to the Marine guard at the gate and said, "I'd like to go in and meet with President Bush, please." The Marine politely but sternly said "Sir, Mr. Bush no longer is president and does not reside here." The old man said "OK, thank you" and walked away.

The next morning, the old man sat on the same bench and then got up and approached the gate where the same Marine was standing guard. "I'd like to go in and meet with President Bush, please", said the old man. The Marine told him, "as I told you yesterday, sir, Mr. Bush is no longer president and does not live in the White House any more." "OK, thank you" said the man as he walked away.

On that Friday, the old man once again approached the same Marine: "I'd like to go in and meet with President Bush, please." The Marine was exasperated. "Sir, as I have told you twice before, Mr. Bush is no longer president and no longer lives in the White House. Do you understand that??"

"Oh I understand you completely", said the old man, "I just love hearing you say it."

No comments: