Thursday, January 26, 2006

The Princess Turns 18

My baby is now 18. WOW! I can't believe it. Yes, my youngest Maria just turned 18 on the 25th. We, her mom and my son Daniel, took her out for dinner on Sunday in Columbia at the infamous Olive Garden. She is a lovely young woman, possessing a fine alto voice and snagging a scholarship at Central Methodist University in Fayette, MO. Way to go Princess!

She always loved to sing, I remember lots of times her singing as a little girl at church, always in the kids choir and loving music. Daniel is musical too, I may not have spawned offspring that will make it rich (well, maybe... but the odds are against them) but they will be heard

18 years went so fast, making me older in the process. But a lot richer for sure. Her mom and I divorced when she was about 4, meaning I missed a lot of her growing up. I lived close for awhile got to be a part of her childhood, but I know missed out on a lot. I hope as she matures, we can grow closer and share our similar love of music. As he matured, Daniel and I discovered we could be very good friends and share a lot of good times and lots of sushi. Like me, I think he still does not know what he wants to be when he grows up, hope he never does.

I know she shares a lot of my views as she is a member of the Jefferson City Young Democrats. There is hope yet for the future. She also shares my intense dislike for Boy-Gov and his fashion-challenged wife. She recounted a story of him at a Martin Luther King celebration, talking about his budget. It is bad when an 18 year old knows you are a stupid ass. A lot like her mom as well, stubborn and opinionated, but strong willed and sure. I don't think I have to worry too much, but I will.

I always called her Princess, I guess I can't anymore. She has outgrown that.... and that is sad. But somehow, I think daughters are always dad's princesses.

No comments: